There are many approaches to addiction treatment because there is no one-size-fits-all treatment program that works for everyone. Each recovery journey is unique to the individual in treatment, so an effective addiction treatment center will have a range of treatment options to fit the needs of each person in recovery. For example, an unorthodox treatment program is TMS therapy for addiction.
If you’re searching for a TMS therapy program, there are many options for you to consider. Be sure to explore the addiction therapy programs available at each addiction treatment center. Think about what you would want when you enter into recovery and choose the best programs, such as TMS therapy, for your treatment plan. Remember, addiction treatment should be tailored to best fit what you need to be successful in recovery, so find what’s best for you.
What Is TMS Therapy for Addiction?
Transcranial magnetic stimulation, also known as TMS, is a noninvasive procedure that uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain. TMS is typically used when other addiction treatment methods haven’t been effective. TMS therapy for addiction is a relatively new addition to addiction therapy programs, but it has been shown to be very effective in helping people heal from the mental and physical effects of addiction.
How Does TMS Therapy and Substance Abuse Treatment Work?
A TMS therapy session is performed by a TMS technician or TMS physician. Typically, TMS therapy is an outpatient program that takes place in an addiction treatment facility or medical clinic. Before the treatment begins, it is necessary to remove anything that is magnetic, like jewelry.
A TMS therapy session typically progresses:
- You’ll put in earplugs to cover up the clicking sound of magnetic impulses. Usually, you’ll be made comfortable in a chair, as there’s no need to lie down. One of the many positive aspects of TMS therapy is that you don’t need anesthesia, so you’ll be awake and alert throughout the process.
- During your first TMS therapy session, the technician or physician will measure your head to figure out where to put the magnetic coil. Then, they’ll place the coil adobe on the front area of your brain.
- Next, the treatment begins. You will hear faint clicking sounds, which are the magnetic impulses. Tapping or knocking beneath the magnetic coil is also common. The treatment session typically lasts thirty to sixty minutes. Another benefit of TMS therapy for addiction is that there aren’t after-effects so that you can drive yourself home after the session.
The addiction treatment center staff will work with you to determine how long your TMS therapy sessions will last. Usually, people in recovery have sessions five days a week for four to six weeks.
Benefits of TMS Therapy for Addiction
Many people find that there are many benefits of TMS therapy for addiction recovery. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- TMS therapy can help reduce withdrawal symptoms and cravings for drugs or alcohol.
- TMS therapy can help improve mood and reduce anxiety and depression.
- TMS therapy can help improve cognitive function and memory.
- TMS therapy can help improve sleep quality and energy levels.
- TMS therapy is a non-invasive procedure, so it is safe and well-tolerated.
Explore TMS therapy for Addiction Today
If you are struggling with addiction and have not found success with other treatment methods, TMS therapy may be a good option for you. Contact your local addiction treatment center to find out more about the connection between TMS therapy and addiction recovery. Make today the day that you choose to improve your health and well-being when you contact an addiction treatment center.